1. Germany imports more wine than any other nation but does not have the highest wine consumption, at 20.2 million hectolitres (hl) annually.
2. Germany imported 14.5 million hl, or 72M [ed: do you perhaps mean % instead of M?] of the volume consumed; annual per capita consumption in Germany is 29.3 litres.
3. The UK was the second-largest wine importer (13.5 million hl) and sixth-largest wine consumer (12.9 million hl in 2016).
4. UK wine production is also on the rise, and could reach 10% of UK consumption within five years.
5. After Germany and the UK, the USA is the third-largest wine importer by volume but the largest by value, at $5.6 billion annually.