Moet has announced the names of the twelve semi-finalists in the UK Sommelier of the Year 2017 competition.
After April’s competition in the UK (Bristol, London and Manchester), Moet has announced the names of the twelve participants in the semi-final, which will take place in London on 17 July. The top three sommeliers will then progress to the grand final, taking place on the same day.
Gerard Basset (OBE, MW, MS), 2010 world champion sommelier, will be the competition’s chief judge.
The finalists are :
- Serdar Balkaya, head sommelier, the Royal Automobile Club, London
- Romain Bourger, head sommelier, the Vineyard, Stockcross, Berkshire
- Mathias Camilleri, head sommelier, Five Fields, Chelsea, London
- Tamas Czinki, head sommelier, Northcote, Langho, Lancashire
- Gareth Ferreira, assistant head sommelier, 67 Pall Mall, London
- Olivier Frayssinet, assistant head sommelier, La Trompette, London
- Alexandre Freguin, head sommelier, Moor Hall, Aughton, Lancashire
- Zigmars Grinbergs, head sommelier, Cabotte, London
- Rudy Le Metayer, sommelier, Summer Lodge, Evershot, Dorset
- Julia Sewell, sommelier, the Fat Duck, Bray, Berkshire
- Jess Sørensen from Mash and Chaîne des Rôtisseurs (2016 runner-up)
- Piotr Pietras from Launceston Place, London (Young Sommelier 2017)